For All Vehicle Claims

Registration Certificate, Log Book or V5C

The registered keeper of a car is generally the person who has possession of and uses, it day-to-day.  Usually, it is their name which appears on the car’s V5C logbook.  However, the document clearly states

Commonly, when obtaining a policy of insurance you will be asked if you are the keeper, not just the owner.

In the absence of ‘title’ (ownership) documentation, in the UK, the V5C is often the next best thing.  The lack of a V5C is likely to delay the claim process.

  • If you cannot locate your V5C or have lost it, approach the DVLA asap for a duplicate.